Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

It was a great day of gathered worship during our two services at Mars Hill Olympia for Mother's Day. We had the privilege of welcoming Pastor James Harleman to preach for us on the topic of motherhood and we handed out free books and flowers as gifts to honor mothers.

I was struck by Pastor James sermon as he explored the cultural background of Mother's Day and how it became the cooperate money-making monster we know today. The meat of the sermon really had to do with identity, hammering a works-based righteousness, and focusing on how the role of mother can be idolatrous if understood as the highest calling of a woman.

I was challenged, convicted, and encouraged by the sermon today. I left church today feeling incredibly blessed, not only for my wonderful Mom but also that God has allowed my wife and I to be apart of a church that loves Jesus, preaches the gospel, and serves the city.

There is some much to be thankful for and today is a great day to savor the sweetness of every blessing we have in Christ Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment